Monday, June 1, 2020

Protests and swimming

On Monday, May 25, a man named Christian Cooper was looking at birds in Central Park in New York City . When he asked another park visitor to put her dog on a leash, she refused. When he started making a video of her, she threatened to call the police and tell them "an African-American man is threatening my life."
Christian Cooper in Central Park with his birding gear. Photo from the NYTimes.
On the same day, a man named George Floyd was killed by a Minneapolis police officer who had accused Floyd of using a counterfeit $20 bill at a store. I was unable to watch the video of Mr. Floyd that circulated on social media. The still photo from the video was appalling enough (I'm not even going to put it here), and the descriptions of the event were horrifying.


Though it was less dramatic, the first story touched me closely. Like me, Mr. Cooper loves to look at birds, but it turns out he might not be safe doing what he loves--"because racism"--as my students and I say.

And what's more, I feel strongly convicted by his story: a white middle-class, middle-aged woman and her arrogant and racist threats could have put him in fatal danger from police officers who . . . well, look at the George Floyd story.

So we white middle-class, middle-aged women need to show that we stand against racism.

That article you might have seen, called "75 things white people can do for racial justice" had plenty of good recommendations for what I might do. #2 on the list was this:
Google whether your city or town currently employs evidence-based police de-escalation trainings. The racial make-up of your town doesn’t matter — This needs to be standard everywhere. Write to your city or town government representative and police chief and advocate for it. Multiply your voice by soliciting others to advocate as well, writing on social media about it, writing op-eds, etc.
Well, I didn't need to Google: I have a friend on the CRPD! Actually, Brian is retired now, but still, he knows what goes on there. I texted him:

Anti-racist training and de-escalation training: effective ways to head off rioting, and mandatory here in Cedar Rapids.

When I read about a gathering here in Cedar Rapids to protest Mr. Floyd's death (and the ongoing systemic and violent racism in our country), I decided I'd go. My baptismal vows, printed on this t-shirt, were egging me on.


Wearing my baptismal vows t-shirt, I rode my bike to the gathering, just a few blocks from my house. A large group of people held signs and listened to people talking from the bed of a pickup truck. My friend Alicia came by and we hung out, wearing our Covid masks, at the very edge of the crowd, which wasn't really using social distancing measures.

Several people asked what the protest was like. Protests across the country have been followed by rioting and looting (often instigated by outsiders), so I think they wanted to know if the Cedar Rapids protest was peaceful. I told them it was peaceful but forceful. People in cars driving by waved and honked their horns.

I don't know what it's going to take for this country to get out from under the shadow of our "original sin," slavery. The online Pentecost sermon by the pastor at my DC home church gave me courage and inspiration. Pastor Alisa's sermon reminded me that I am not "just one person" who might feel weak and worry I can't do enough. I am one part of a larger, stronger body and we are animated and suffused with a spirit stronger than all of us.

On a completely different topic, this week, the YMCA began letting members back in for lap swimming! We had to call in and reserve a time, sign a waiver, and stay only in our lane. I may have let out a "yippee" as they signed me in.  I had to stop a couple times to catch my breath (I guess fast-walking isn't quite enough of a cardio workout for me!), and my arms got pretty tired, but overall, it felt great to get back in.
In full dork swim mode.
I guess all of me is being strengthened: from my stick arms to my faith to my resolve to fight racism!

No comments:

Post a Comment