Monday, March 23, 2020

What's for dinner?

If you've been to the grocery store recently, you've probably seen shelves that look like this:
If you want canned soup, you're out of luck.

From what I've heard, there are no supply shortages--of food or toilet paper. Stores just can't keep up with sudden waves of panic buying.
This shopper (not me!) was making the most of this grocery shopping trip

Apparently, sales of delicious snack foods are up! The Motley Fool says that "people are buying 30% more potato chips than before COVID-19, while pretzel sales jumped 47% and popcorn soared 48%." Yum, someone's going to have some delightful social distancing time!

But what about meals?  Do we have enough food at our house to avoid making extra trips to the grocery store? Especially when we're starting to hear city officials urge residents to stay home and only go out if necessary.

I was feeling a bit panicked this weekend about cooking during this pandemic, so after we made a trip to the grocery store, I made a list of what we had on hand for hot meals.

It looks like we've got enough for 16-17 meals without having to go out and shop again. Somehow, this activity made me feel much calmer. I recommend it!

(I also did a TP inventory. We have 16 rolls!)

1 comment:

  1. We have probably four dozen rolls of TP but that's because we have a bulk subscription from Who Gives a Crap! It was coming whether there was a virus or not. We have tons of food. Lots of dry grains and flours, canned tomatoes, frozen beans that I cooked from bulk. We've been eating soups quite a bit because you can stretch food that way, and when I make some I stick some in the freezer for later. Especially if we get sick and won't be up to cooking. I might take an inventory like you, just because it might reveal possible combinations I hadn't thought of.

    ReplyDelete