Thursday, May 7, 2020

Sights of the Pandemic in Iowa and elsewhere

I didn't expect to see any cars at the mall as I drove over to buy some plants at the HyVee garden center on Collins Road. But as I drove by, I saw that the parking lot looked full.

What? The mall is closed, at least for now.

Then I saw the sign: "Food Pantry Here," the sign said.

As I drove slowly by, I noticed that the cars were not parked there, they were idling in two parallel lines stretching from one end of the mall to the other--from the closed Sears to the closed Younkers.

They were in line to pick up boxes of food from the Hawkeye Area Community Action Program, aka HACAP.
Cars in line to get food from a food bank. Photo swiped from the Little Village story, linked above.
Walking along the lines of people in cars, people in masks and safety vests had clipboards and seemed to be talking to the drivers. National Guard troops were there directing traffic in their camouflaged outfits. More people hefted boxes into trunks near the former Younkers.

The feature-writer in me wanted to pull over to take photos, to interview workers and participants. How many people do you expect? What's in the boxes? How long have you been out of work? How is your family doing?

This week, I've been dismayed by news about the virus's spread in Iowa.

Front pages of our local newspaper this week. 
Cases of Covid have continued to climb here in Iowa. I was hoping this was just because we're testing more, but alas, the death rate also continues to climb. The senior living facility just a few blocks from here had its first (known) cases this week, and of course the meat processing plants in other areas have had many many cases--and deaths.

The governor has decided to open businesses in the counties that have been less-heavily hit by the virus, but as you can see by that map on the photo, more counties are getting covid cases all the time.

At our house, we'll continue to maintain social distancing. We've been getting carry-out food once a week from local restaurants, and we donated our government checks to local non-profits.

A sight on the internet that has really troubled me is one you've probably seen as well: the spreading of misinformation and propaganda through a video with the word "Plandemic" in it. That video shares some conspiracy theories about "hidden agenda behind the COVID-19" pandemic.

The video was removed by YouTube despite all the clicks it could have gotten, for violating "community guidelines." Meaning sharing false information, perhaps?

I know that people are frustrated by the economic toll and inconveniences of the pandemic. I hope that everyone tries to remember the important critical thinking that one must use before spreading information on the internet. 

There have been some more happy sights during this pandemic, though.

In a rare (masked!) shopping trip, I was able to purchase the plants I need for my vegetable garden and patio pots. Most of the people at the outdoor nurseries I visited were wearing masks and giving me space; I was grateful for those who did. I noticed that one had a sign that you could order plants online and pick them up curbside! I wish I'd known!


Here's a story of how local people rescued that pelican with the injured wing that we kept seeing at Cedar Lake. It will be taken to an veterinarian to be treated. Look how huge it is!

And more birds: This week, I saw a hummingbird at our feeder. Later, a pair of goldfinches explored the yard. My oranges are waiting for orioles to arrive.
Come and get it, orioles!

No comments:

Post a Comment