Tuesday, May 12, 2020

WFH wardrobe review

The other day, Bruce asked me what I was up to. I was lacing up my shoes.

"Nothing special," I replied. "I just feel more productive when I actually put on shoes." This made me think about what I have been choosing to wear when working from home. 

I decided to do a little review and rating of Work From Home wardrobe choices. I'm thinking back over my Teaching From Home days during the last 4+ weeks of Spring Semester 2020.


Slippers vs. Shoes

Slippers:  fluffy, easy to get on and off, comfortable, no one's going to see your feet on a Zoom meeting.
Shoes:  can wear inside or outside, comfortable and supportive, snugly-tied laces give me energy from the feet up. (FlyLady and Gretchen Rubin agree)

Winner:  Shoes
From GoComics.com

Pants ("no pants" is not an option because our house is a bit chilly)(also, I have leggings but Leggings Are Not Pants): Two rounds

Round 1: Pants I Already Owned Before Covid:


Athletic pants vs. stretchy jeans

Athletic pants (purchased from the 25 cent table at Stuff, Etc.)
comfy, pockets, stretchiness makes them perfect for long periods of sitting, either at a desk, or cross-legged on the couch, people might think I'm athletic
Stretchy Jeans: fairly comfy for jeans, pockets, sturdy enough for working outside, a bit more presentable to the world.

Winner: tie. Sweats if ONLY working from home. Stretchy jeans if I need to run an errand or work in the yard

Round 2: Pants I bought online after Covid started a.,k.a. sweatpants

Uniqlo sweats vs. Hanes sweats

Uniqlo Women's Ultra Stretch Pants (no longer in stock): Uniqlo is hip, pants are warm enough for sitting in chilly basement where my office is set up, pockets, VERY stretchy (4-way stretch) so that they feel like I'm wearing jammies which seems to cause me feel like I need a nap. 

Hanes French Terry Pocket Pants: cottony fleece on the inside also makes these warm enough yet breathable, pockets, stretchy but not too stretchy--they make me feel like I should go for a brisk walk, look decent enough to wear in public.

Winner: Hanes sweats

Sweaters: 
(yes sweaters. We're talking an Iowa Spring here. We had snow during week 2 of WFH (in April), and my basement office is chilly)
Wool cardigan vs. fleece

Wool cardigan (I have several, some purchased online, others are thrift-store rescues): doesn't shed bits of polyester into the ocean every time I wash it, more professional looking, breathable

Fleece (I have several, bought more than 5 years ago): warm, breathable, zips up to cover my neck if it gets extra cold, pockets, can be worn as outdoor jacket

Winner: tie. Fleeces for most days, wool sweaters for days when I teach.

What are your WFH wardrobe choices?

1 comment:

  1. She wasn't just lacing up her shoes. She was lacing up her shoes purposively!

    ReplyDelete